Monday 17 May 2010

Ill placed confidence

Last Saturday I went out with 2 of my oldest friends (no pun intended) .Like any good night it was filled with food, drink, tears , dancing and a whole lot laughter. The hot topic of the night was age and getting old. Us girls realized that we had passed our "pink of perfection." It is a difficult reality to come to terms with. Youth and everything that goes with it are completely taken for granted when you have it. I have always been critical of my looks lack ability , when I look back I think Wow I actually look good back then and I had opportunities that I simply passed by because I was too busy partying or hating myself.

Our night began with aperitifs and ended in a club named Ponana's. We almost didn't make it as my home girl was refusing to go to a club that had a name that sounded so much mike poo na nee. Was Ali G gonna be there , No far from it , Once inside we found that we were in a Bristol Uni posh boy ecosystem. Revellers were an average age of 19 years,wore seemingly compulsory freshly ironed gingham shirts and stood at a minimum height of 6foot and 1 inch and up to 6foot 7inches .At one point it looked and felt like a tall man convention.

Initially the girls and I felt awkward in such a place, especially since we were dwarfed by giants but after more than a few sambucas the place was ours , to terrorize with our witty repartee and killer dance moves. I do recall shouting “ in my day people would go out to have fun and dance.” Oh dear, why do I continue to sound like an old woman. We shook our booties for several hours and spoke to anyone that would listen.Even if folk weren't interested , we ranted anyway! I vaguely recall moshing and jumping around as if I were attached to a pogo stick. You got it, I am a girl who knows how to have fun and deeply annoy people.I certainly had a fantastic time doing it and laughed my head off for most of the evening.

Today is Monday I ask myself was this ill placed confidence. Should I have left such a inappropriate situation , was the night an imbroglio that should could have been avoided or did us girls do well to make the best of our unusual surroundings/company. I think the later, our age and happy family lives leave us to be “free , to do what we want to do, have fun,”without the constraints of youth such as diffidence
, insecurity and the hunt for a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment