Friday 30 April 2010

Maturing with style

Now that I am officially in my mid 30’s with less than 5 years till I am 40, I feel as though my style needs to adjust to my growing wisdom, waist line and neighbourhood status. This transition isn’t a seamless one. No it is actually very bumpy . Let’s begin at the top .Aware of phrases like FFFA (fit from far away) and 1660 (16 from the back and 60 from the front) I decided to cut off my long hair.I wanted to have the same hair as Leigh Lezark, a fashion muse I had become obsessed with. Maybe if I looked at her for long enough, some of her gnat like beauty would rub off on me. Most of the time I look like Helen Bonham Carter when she appeared as a monkey in "Planet of the apes." Right now, I have a great cut but I feel it makes me look too serious and what’s all this about , having to style it. I have had such problems drying my coiffure with a specially designed metal- cylinder -pronged brush that I actually burnt the back of my neck, OUCH!

What to wear with my new coiffure? I want to look cool, edgy, smart and groomed. When out shopping I am strangely drawn to Top Shop and all the 80’s revisited stuff. Try it on and I look like a “tart with a heart” from Coronation Street. So it is back to the drawing board and the only thing I can get away with are Breton stripes and converse, de riguer for every self respecting South London Stepford Wife . More recently I have slightly deviated from the stripe and bought a quilted Barbour jacket. Maybe I should forget Lezark and turn to Parker-Bowels for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment