Wednesday 25 August 2010

Missing my hospital appointment

You know the feeling.. Loosing your keys, getting a parking ticket , missing a train, plane or Dr appointment.Today I achieved the latter. I missed an appointment with my consultant. It was a very important one as it would mean a review of my recovery from my foot op and more importantly removal of my 4 week old moudly bandage. You read correctly, 4 weeks.Yes 4 weeks of wearing the same stinking bandage. A soft bandage which has some crazy, plastic disc that seems to be slicing my foot in two.Honestly its evil.

I thought the appointment was tomorrow. So convinced I was right, that after I noticed the possible mistake, I rolled up my sleeves before I checked the family calendar, I was sure the NHS systems were at fault and when this was confirmed I was gonna call them and give them a piece of my mind. The family calendar only proved how utterly stupid I am. I even wrote the right day on the calendar. What is it with me , I joke that I have early onset of alzheimers and humorously, I blame the aluminum pots my parents used to prepare food. Oh I am hilarious but perhaps it is true. Maybe I do have brain rot with a bit of dementia thrown in. I know that I would benefit significantly from home help and meals on wheels.

I am now faced with that horrible and strangely familiar feeling of loss. Perfect time for the kids to call out “ Mummy, can you,” to which I will roar like a T rex and turn into a zombie mummy “ what , what do you want, I never get a chance to think straight, damn you, I blame you for missing my most important hospital appointment.” Poor dears it is not their fault and luckily they were not around to be blamed, as of course I would have put the blame squarely on their little shoudlers. No they are not here so I must go through the five stages of grief as described by Kubler-Ross . Pretty much dealt with denial, anger and bargaining Right now I am stuck in the depression phase. Mostly because my foot is throbbing like a mo fo. As if it has been hit with a sledge hammer.At least once I am over depression there is the sweet taste of acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment